Transfer Talk Man City to block Real Madrid’s Haaland plan
The summer transfer window is closed for major leagues in Europe. However, with one eye on January, there’s a lot of gossip swirling about who’s moving where. Transfer Talk brings you all the latest buzz on rumours, whereabouts and, of course, deals!
TOP STORY: Man City to stop Real Madrid stunt for Haaland
Real Madrid want to sign Erling Haaland Manchester City using a release clause which will become active in 2024, but the Premier League champions will aim to thwart the plan.
According to El Chiringuito TV, the 22-year-old striker can be signed for €200m in 2024 due to a clause that was negotiated in his contract when he joined City from Borussia Dortmund for €60m this summer.
However, Mundo Deportivo reveal that Pep Guardiola’s side are already working on a decision to hand Haaland a new deal which would void the future clause. Considering he earns around £375,000 a week, the Citizens may have to make the Norway international their highest earner if they want to persuade him to stay.
Haaland scored a hat-trick against Manchester United on Sunday for a total of 14 goals in just eight games so far, just nine shy of equaling last year’s Golden Boot tally.
– Stream on ESPN+: LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, more (US)
09.21 BST: Club Brugge striker Ferran Jutgla says he doesn’t hold any grudges against former club Barcelona and doesn’t rule out a Camp Nou return in the future.
Jutgla joined Brugge this summer in a €5m move from Barca. A young La Masia product, the 23-year-old has scored six Belgian league goals and two in the Champions League, including in Tuesday’s 2-0 win over Atletico Madrid.
« I owe everything to Barca because it has allowed me to be where I am right now, » he said. El Larguero. “I wish the best for Barca. I’m just going my own way. I came here wanting to grow and learn. I know that if I work hard, be disciplined and give it my all, good things will happen. “
When asked if he would ever consider returning to Barca, he said: “I’m focused on the present and the future, you never know. We all love to play and feel valued. I feel valued here.”
08:43 BST: Bayer Leverkusen consider sacking manager Gerardo Seoane and consider appointing him Xabi Alonso as his replacement, sources told ESPN’s Alex Kirkland and Rodrigo Faez.
Seoane will be responsible for Leverkusen’s Champions League Group B game with FC Porto on Tuesday, but his future is in doubt after a poor start to the Bundesliga season with the club sitting 17th after picking up five points from eight games.
Alonso has been out of work since leaving Real Sociedad B in May after three successful years in charge. Sources have told ESPN he would be happy to take on the challenge of turning Leverkusen’s season around.
Seoane steered Leverkusen to a third-place finish in the Bundesliga in their debut campaign last year, qualifying for the Champions League, but they have struggled so far this season.
Sources have told ESPN that Alonso has emerged as one of the main candidates to replace Seoane over the past week.
German Sport1 reported that Leverkusen had contacted Thomas Tuchéwho was sacked by Chelsea last month, but the former Borussia Dortmund manager turned down the approach.
08:00 BST: Manchester United are ready for Cristiano Ronaldo to try again to leave the club in January if the striker cannot win back his place in Erik ten Hag’s squad, sources have told ESPN’s Rob Dawson.
Ronaldo, 37, was an unused substitute for the 6-3 loss at Manchester City and hasn’t started a Premier League game since the 4-0 loss to Brentford in August.
He was keen to leave Old Trafford this summer, and United are aware he could consider a move in January in a bid to find regular first-team football.
UEFA rules would allow Ronaldo to sign for a Champions League side in January and play in the knockout stages in the new year despite making two appearances for United in the Europa League this season.
Sources have told ESPN that Ronaldo’s attitude towards training and games has been exemplary since it became clear he would have to stay past the transfer deadline, but he is desperate to fire the best of his last years at the top.
He’s scored one goal in eight games this season and trailed Marcus Rashford and Anthony Martial in the pecking order.
Ale Moreno breaks down Barcelona’s 1-0 loss to Inter, leaving them in danger of missing the UCL knockout stage.
– Discussions regarding a possible swap deal between AC Milan and Chelsea for Raphael Leao could take place, according to Calciomercato. The Rossoneri are interested in both Christian Pulisic and Callum Hudson-Odoi, but it is reported that they would also like a €90m fee included as part of a deal to send Leao to Stamford Bridge. Leao, 23, has contributed to eight goals in seven Serie A appearances this season and was on the Premier League side’s radar towards the end of the summer transfer window.
– AS Roma are confident of signing Nicolas Zaniolo to a new long-term agreement, reveals Gazzetta dello Sport. Interest in the 23-year-old attacking midfielder has seen Jose Mourinho’s side move quickly to secure Zaniolo’s future. It is reported that they are now close to reaching a full agreement on a new five-year deal which will see the player earn €4m per season until 2027.
– The race intensifies for the Ajax Amsterdam star Mohammad Kudusaccording to Picture. Dortmund, Tottenham Hotspur and Everton have all been linked with the 22-year-old striker, who has been in impressive form this season. Kudus has scored seven goals in five Eredivisie and Champions League starts, and could be available for a transfer fee of around €10m.
– Gael Kakuta is about to switch to Amiens, includes Radio France. The 31-year-old Lens winger has struggled to rack up regular first-team minutes this season, having made just three appearances in all competitions. Kakuta is said to have already agreed a deal with the Ligue 2 club, where he previously enjoyed a successful spell in the 2019-20 Ligue 1 campaign.
– Victor Wanyama will leave CF Montreal of Major League Soccer at the end of the season, reports MLSsoccer.com’s Tom Bogert. The former Tottenham midfielder has been a key contributor to the Canadian squad since joining in 2019.