The summer transfer window was unlike any other; check out all the major offers and find out how we ranked the biggest signings. And just because the window is closed until January doesn’t mean the rumors won’t continue. Here are the latest gossip and speculation.
TOP STORY: Cavani for Aguero at Barca?
Barcelona stepped up their pursuit of a striker by that of Sergio Agüero absence due to injury, and they identified Manchester United’s absence Edinson Cavani as a potential target in January.
Les Miroir writes that Cavani, 34, wants consistent playing time at this point in his career, but he’s only made two starts in all competitions this season, often finding himself on the bench after Cristiano arrived. Ronaldo at Old Trafford.
The Blaugrana are preparing an offer of around £ 5million to tempt him at Camp Nou during the winter transfer market, and they could face competition from Internazionale, who are also reportedly interested in his services.
Cavani’s contract is set to expire next summer after signing a one-year extension in May.
Aguero, meanwhile, has not retired despite reports this weekend claiming he did.
« What came out of Aguero is not true, » Barca boss Xavi said on Saturday. “I spoke to him the other day. We’ll see how things go and if he can keep playing football, but it’s a medical issue. «
– ESPN + Guide: LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, FA Cup, more (US)
– Stream ESPN FC Daily on ESPN + (US only)
– You don’t have ESPN? Access immediately
PAPER GOSSIP (by Danny Lewis)
– Tottenham Hotspur could take a step to Nicolo Zaniolo next summer, according to Calciomercato. The 22-year-old midfielder’s contract is not set to expire until 2024, but after being recently sent off by Jose Mourinho, the Premier League side have been alerted to the situation. It is reported that a fee of around € 40million would be required to allow Antonio Conte’s Spurs to discuss personal conditions.
– sport writes that Xavi are looking to sign a player from his former club Al-Sadd as Barcelona seek to acquire a striker in the winter transfer market. Baghdad Bounedjah has been identified as a target, the 29-year-old forward finishing the league’s top scorer last season while working under Blaugrana new manager. He is also an Algerian international, scoring three times in his last four caps.
– Paris Saint-Germain is watching that of Marcelo Brozovic contract situation, according to Le10Sport. The 29-year-old was recently stuck in contract negotiations with Inter Milan, but with no sign of an official announcement, the Ligue 1 club are ready to start negotiations in January as they seek to strengthen their options in the middle of the field. The Croatia international has made 13 Serie A appearances this season.
– Calciomercato reveals AC Milan and Juventus could be first teams to step up to Driss Nasser, the young Bordeaux star nicknamed the next Paul Pogba. The 17-year-old midfielder has been followed by scouts for some time, with top European clubs in awe of his technical ability with the ball and his physical strength.
– Paris Saint-Germain could step up their race for Lorenzo Insigne with the 30-year-old winger in no rush to sign new terms at Napoli. Le10Sport writes that the Ligue 1 club are preparing to jostle with Inter Milan for their signing, with a line starting to emerge to acquire the Italy international on a free transfer.