From May 15 to July 3, TDActu presents its Top 50 NFL players. To arrive at this ranking, each member of the editorial staff voted for the 50 players they would like to have on their team to start the coming season. These rankings were then compiled to form the final Top 50. The opportunity to debate, but also to present 50 profiles to those new to the NFL.
Chase Young – Defensive End – Washington
ID card : 22 years old – 1m96 – 120 kilos
Draft: choice number 2 in 2020
CV: Defensive Rookie of the 2020 season
2020 stats: 44 tackles including 7.5 sacks, 4 forced fumbles and 4 defended passes
Why is he here?
Because he was chosen very high in the draft, he was expected at the turn. In just one NFL season, Chase Young has already made everyone agree: this beast is a fierce predator. Its feline qualities combining power and speed make it already feared in the NFL jungle. The opposing quarterbacks fear his presence when they have to face Washington, their offensive tackles too, their fans too. He is already in this category!
As a teenager he dreamed of joining the FBI to track down serial killers. His degree in criminology from Ohio State will wait: he is the predator for now.
Chase Young! pic.twitter.com/0231XeUPJY
– RCDC (@ RCDC20) May 12, 2021
What objective in 2021?
Become the king of the savannah. And it will not be easy with other big cats such as Aaron Donald, Nick Bosa or TJ Watt but Chase Young has all the attributes of a dominant player, in one of the most important positions on the field. If he still has a way to go, he seems capable of one day breaking Michael Strahan’s (Giants / 2001) record of 22.5 sacks in a season.
In a team sport, however, individual rewards are important and Chase Young, after the trophy for best college defenseman, won the NFL debutant in defense. But the important thing remains the team’s record and he aims to return to the playoffs, to achieve a better safari: against Tampa Bay during the 2020 playoffs, Chase Young was unable to weigh on the match with only 3 tackles. and no QB Hit. In a homogeneous division, he will have to stick his teeth out to allow his pack to win again.
Heard in the editorial staff
– “Too early to project, but he’s already shown he’s a defender of the year contender. It will become more and more dominant and its ceiling is immense. »Victor Roullier
– « Nothing more enjoyable than seeing a No. 2 in the draft meet expectations as well. The young DE is shaping up to be one of the league’s future great defenders. »Tristan Henry
– « Chase Young managed to make me want to watch the Washington matches last year, that’s to say! »Raoul Villeroy
– « He has everything to become the best edge in the league. It remains for his team to afford an attack. »Elioth Salmon
The general classification
46. Lavonte David – LB, Buccaneers
47. Nick Chubb – RB, Browns
48. Corey Linsley – C, Chargers
49. Lamar Jackson – QB, Ravens
50. Fred Warner – LB, 49ers