The Union wins in a dramatic way

The Union waited until the added time of overtime to score the goal that made the difference in a narrow 1-0 victory over the New York Red Bulls on Saturday in Philadelphia in the first round of the Major League Soccer playoffs. .

• Read also – MLS playoffs: Vancouver, only Canadian team

One could expect a close duel between two defensive powers of the Eastern Conference, and neither team disappointed. The home side used their second shot on target only to end the debate dramatically in the 123rd minute of play.

Obviously reluctant to let this match slip away towards penalty shots, Jakob Glesnes intercepted a New York clearance before going there with a nice strike lobed over goalkeeper Carlos Coronel. The Subaru Park then exploded with joy, as did the defender’s teammates.

At the other end of the field, Andre Blake did not have too much to report, the Red Bulls directing only one shot towards his cage, in overtime.

The Union finished the regular season second in the East with 54 points, while New York had quite a late season to finish six points shy of seventh.

The end of the dream for the Whitecaps

In Kansas City, the Whitecaps were defeated 3-1 by Sporting, who put an end to the great run of the British Columbian team at the end of the season.

Rejuvenated by the entry into office of Vanni Sartini at mid-season, the Whitecaps had suffered only two defeats in their last 22 meetings and could hope to play spoilers against the third best formation in the Association of the ‘Where is.

Khiry Shelton started the game strong for the home side by signing in in the 17th minute of play. Cristian Dajome, on a penalty shot, tied the game about 20 minutes later.

On the heels at the end of the first half, the Whitecaps were beaten on a corner kick. Graham Zusi was there from the final exclamation point in the 52nd minute, with a superb strike from outside the box.


Laisser un commentaire

Votre adresse e-mail ne sera pas publiée. Les champs obligatoires sont indiqués avec *