Every year, NBA General Managers anonymously participate in an ESPN poll on their predictions and impressions before the start of the season.
What should we remember from this year’s one?
– The Brooklyn Nets are not favorites for the title. They are ULTRA-favorites. At 72%, league GMs see Kevin Durant and his band win the league title, ahead of the Los Angeles Lakers (12%) and defending champions, the Milwaukee Bucks (10%).
– For the title of MVP, it is much more contested. Kevin Durant still leads with 37% of the vote, just ahead Luka Doncic (33%). Both men have a head start on Giannis Antetokounmpo (13%) and the tandem Joel Embiid-James Harden (7%). And the outgoing MVP, Nikola Jokic, in all of that ? The « Joker » is not even in the top 6, since it is Stephen Curry who closes the ball with 3%.
– For the best recruitment of the offseason, the GM were convinced by that of the Miami Heat, with in particular the arrival of Kyle Lowry. The Floridians are first with 47%, while the Lakers come far behind (17%) despite signing Russell westbrook and Carmelo Anthony, among others.
– Unsurprisingly, it’s pretty close in the race for the Rookie of the Year title, but it’s definitely the back of the Rockets Jalen green (47%) ahead Cade Cunningham (40%) from Detroit and Jalen Suggs from Orlando (7%).
– Victor Wembanyama figure in this poll! You wonder why ? Well do you imagine that the Frenchman came third to the question « who is the best international player who is not in the NBA »? Nikola Mirotic and Vasilije Micic, reigning Euroleague MVP, are ahead of ASVEL inside. Even being damn chauvinistic, it seems a little premature to us!
– We will note the nice plebiscite for Erik Spoelstra for the title of best coach in the league (55%), far ahead of Monty Williams (17%), Quin Snyder (14%) and Gregg Popovich (10%).
You can find all the results of this study HERE.
Kendrick Perkins: « Kevin Durant is the best player in the world »