The 2022 draft will indeed take place in Montreal


The Commissioner of the National Hockey League (NHL), Gary Bettman, has confirmed that the 2022 draft will indeed take place at the Bell Centre, the home of the Montreal Canadiens, on July 7 and 8.

“There will be fans in the amphitheater and we can’t wait to be there,” the 69-year-old said Tuesday during a press conference held on the sidelines of the annual directors general meeting taking place in Florida this week.

Doubts had arisen about the holding of the event after a certain upsurge in the COVID-19 pandemic.

Remember that Montreal was originally supposed to host the 2020 draft, but it had to be held virtually due to the coronavirus.

The Canadian should be particularly busy during this July weekend, as he has 14 speaking turns for the 2022 amateur auction. Seven of these selections are in the first three rounds.

The salary cap will go up

The NHL has also informed the general managers of its teams that the salary cap will increase to $82.5 million next season.

At least that’s what The Athletic site reported.

In 2021-2022, the limit is set at $81.5 million, as has been the case since the 2019-2020 campaign. Previously, it was $73.0 million in 2016-2017 and then climbed to $75.0 million the following year, then to $79.5 million in 2018-2019.

The cap has been in effect since 2005-2006, since the end of a labor dispute that ruined the entire previous season. At first, it was set at $39.0 million.

Also regarding the salary cap, Bettman Tour GMs discussed his absence during the playoffs. This was revealed by Flames general manager Bred Treliving.

Last year, when the Tampa Bay Lightning won the Stanley Cup, they would have smashed the $18 million salary cap.

Treliving said no GM accused the Bolts of taking advantage of the system, but a « healthy discussion » took place.

In short

In addition, information has been given to NHL decision makers regarding the holding of a World Cup of Hockey in 2024. Unlike the 2016 edition, there will be no star youth teams under 23 years old from North America, nor a club made up of the best players from the “rest of the world”.

Finally, the NHL does not intend to prohibit its teams from drafting players of Russian origin in the next draft. The question was posed to Assistant Commissioner Bill Daly, in connection with the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

« It’s an ever-changing situation, » he said. The world could be different in July than it is today. We will see where we are then, but it is not our current intention to impose restrictions on Russian players.

Watch Gary Bettman and Bill Daly’s press briefing in the video above.

Laisser un commentaire