Supposed withdrawal from the organization of CAN 2025: Guinea bangs its fist on the table


Guinea has stepped up to deny the crazy rumors of a probable withdrawal from the organization of CAN 2025 at Syli national. The standardization committee of the Guinean Football Federation (Conor), Mariama Sy denounced a plot fomented from within.

This is the rumor that agitates Guinea since last week. While a CAF delegation is in the country to reassure the local authorities that the national Syli remains the host selection of the African tournament, a document from the African body revealed by the Nigerian journalist of BBC, Osasu Obayiuwana, affirms opposite. According to the note published by the journalist, credible for his information, the executive committee of CAF has taken the decision to withdraw the organization of the competition in Guinea since July 3.

Faced with this new bomb, Guinea stepped up to whistle the end of recess. President of the standardization committee of the Guinean Football Federation (Conor), Mariama Sy denounced a plot fomented from within. « I confirm that it is a crazy rumor (…). I point out to you that the Guinean Football Federation is the gateway to all the information that comes from CAF. All the information that comes in goes through us. We are connected 24 hours a day with FIFA and CAF. If there is a courier that arrives in Guinea, it officially comes through us“, first said the leader.

« The CAF delegation was received by COCAN where a message was passed on. The head of the delegation said that they did not come to withdraw the CAN from Guinea. They came to reassure themselves that things are going in the right direction. (…) It’s nonsense that comes from our own country and that’s what shocks me. How can Guineans today want to boycott the organization of CAN 2025, which will today be the lever for the growth of our country, for development with everything that will be done?“, added the president of Conor, visibly outraged.

Mariama Sy believes that Guinea has given itself the means to reassure CAF in recent days. « It is true that Guinea since 2014 (date of the award, editor’s note) has not done much. The old regime did not make it a priority. So CAF is absolutely right to be concerned. But, since September 5 precisely, under the leadership of the Minister of Sports, who has made it his hobbyhorse, the commitment of his president and the government which is heavily involved, we have done extraordinary things. The companies have been chosen, the contracts have been signed“recalled the leader.

CAN 2025 elevated to the rank of “ of national and priority interest« 

Last week, Guinean President Mamadi Doumbouya announced that CAN 2025 has been elevated to  » of national and priority interest“. An additional budget envelope has even been allocated to the Ministry of Youth and Sports to better prepare for the competition.

« The challenge that awaits us today, from the moment when we have made this project a national priority, this means that all the means of the nation will be made available to take up the challenge, to succeed in this great challenge.“, recalled in parallel Minister Lansana Béa Diallo. « Today we are a team that works, we are a team that moves forward. And today we have the full support of the government to take up the challenge.»

Enough to silence the rumours, while doubts about the timely delivery of the sports infrastructure to house the competition still hang over the country of the national Syli? Wait and see…….



Laisser un commentaire