Sergino Dest’s Barcelona future uncertain after USMNT star’s Supercopa snub


Sergino Dest faces an uncertain future at Barcelona after being left out of the squad for Wednesday’s 3-2 loss to Real Madrid in the Spanish Supercopa but is determined to fight for his place, sources have said. at ESPN.

Teams across Europe including Bayern Munich and Chelsea are monitoring Dest’s situation, but sources close to the US international have told ESPN he hopes to stay at Camp Nou beyond the transfer window of January and prove its worth.

– You don’t have ESPN? Access immediately
– ESPN+ guide: LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, FA Cup, more (US)

However, sources at the club refuse to rule out an exit this month. The right-back has fallen out of favor under new coach Xavi Hernandez and his departure could help fund the transfer of a new striker.

Barca have already signed Dani Alves and Ferran Torres this month, but Xavi would also like to add a No.9. Alvaro Morata is a target but Juventus, where he is on loan from Atletico Madrid, are reluctant to let him go without substitute.

ESPN first revealed in December that Barca will be open to offers for Dest in January. Dest, however, would rather stay in Spain and fight for his place.

The players’ camp believe that Xavi hasn’t seen the best of the USMNT defender yet. Dest has struggled with several injuries this season and, at the club’s request, played when not fully fit in November and December in an unfamiliar attacking role to help the team, which delayed his recovery .

Dest, who also tested positive for COVID-19 in early January, is fully fit again and ready to compete for a right-back spot with Alves, now 38, and academy-graduate Oscar Mingueza. ESPN have also revealed that Barca are pursuing a move for Chelsea full-back Cesar Azpilicueta when his contract expires this summer.

Emerson Royal and Arthur Melo previously took similar positions at Dest before they were convinced to leave Barca. Arthur eventually agreed to join Juventus in the summer of 2020 and Emerson moved to Tottenham Hotspur at the start of this campaign.

Barca signed Dest from Ajax for €20m, beating Bayern to his signature. The German club have, however, remained in contact with the player since and sounded out a loan deal ahead of this season with an option to make the deal permanent next summer for around €25m.

Chelsea, who lost Reece James and Ben Chilwell to injury, have also expressed interest in a short-term deal until the end of the season. Several other Premier League sides are also following the situation with Atletico Madrid, although they are going ahead with the decision of Valencia’s Daniel Wass to replace Kieran Trippier.

Dest, 21, has quickly become a regular under Ronald Koeman after joining him 18 months ago. He made 41 appearances in his first full campaign at Camp Nou but injuries have disrupted his second season, limiting him to just 16 games so far in all competitions.

Laisser un commentaire