On this last Sunday evening of November, the NBA spoiled its European fans, with no less than four games starting before midnight, French time.
On paper, this wolves – Warriors was certainly the most enticing of these four posters, between two teams that follow each other in the classification in the West and who have been going through a big highlight for several days (5 wins out of the last 6 games for the locals, 7 out of the last 10 for visitors).
Unfortunately, in reality, it was less exciting than hoped, since the defending champions severely corrected the frankness of the Minnesota : 137-114! Well launched by an absolutely lunar first quarter of offensive efficiency, with 47 points scored at 76% on shots (against 27 for Wolves), Golden State then quietly sailed to victory.
Side Warriors, the five holders exceeded 10 points and Stephen Curry was obviously the most prominent, with 25 points, 11 rebounds and 8 assists (but 7 ball losses). On the Wolves side, it’s Anthony Edwards who signs the best performance in this collective slump: 26 points, 4 rebounds and 4 assists.
This success, their 11th of the season, allows Steve Kerr’s men to present a positive balance sheet for the first time since the fifth game of the year. That is October 27th…
WHAT YOU MUST REMEMBER
– The Warriors in the shelter after… twelve minutes. During the first twelve minutes of the game, Steve Kerr’s players were very strong, folding the entry game. With a first quarter at 47 points and almost 80% shooting success, to afford a 20-point lead when attacking the second act. A gap that subsequently increased to +28…
– The best game of the season for the starting Warriors. On many occasions since the start of the season, it seemed that the five of the « Dubs » lacked binding, even cohesion. In that, this match was a reminder: a reminder of the damage that this major five, when walking in the same direction, can cause. Wolves paid the price, as Stephen Curry (25 points), Klay Thompson (21), Andrew Wiggins (17) and Draymond Green (19) compiled 82 of the team’s 137 points, when Kevon Looney still wonderfully put to their service (2 points, but 7 rebounds and 4 assists).
– A gap between the two teams in offensive execution. On one side, 137 points at 58% shooting, with 50 baskets scored for 36 assists. On the other, 114 points at 44% on shots, with 39 baskets scored for 22 assists. There was indeed a significant gap between the two formations, in the execution and fluidity of the attack. The Warriors version « Strength In Numbers » were thus out.
TOPS & FLOPS
✅ Jordan Poole. Not always author of his best basketball since the start of the season, the Warriors « combo-guard » released an ideal match, for his role as sixth man: scoring (24 points), creation (6 assists) and even 4 rebounds, over 27 minutes. The Michigan alum seems on the right track…
✅⛔️ Anthony Edwards and Karl-Anthony Towns. Discreet in the first period, « Ant » gained momentum after the break and in particular allowed his team to (very briefly) return to around ten points from the Warriors in the last act. His foot still on the accelerator, despite a defeat drawn very early on, he presents a solid sheet of stats. But his too many defensive wanderings attenuate the whole somewhat and his -29 +/- translates it well. As for « KAT », he was in his standards for the season, with 21 points, 4 rebounds and 4 assists, but he was at times too imprecise and confused, like his 6 lost balls.
– Wolves (10-10) : “back-to-back” in Washington (01:00)
– Warriors (11-10) : trip to Dallas, on the night of Tuesday to Wednesday (01:30 a.m.)