Ah, Patrick Roy.
Working again with the Quebec Remparts of the QMJHL, Roy has expressed his interest in taking on the vacant position of general manager of the Montreal Canadiens.
“I’m sure I’m thinking to myself what have they got to lose by trying me?” Roy said in Le Journal de Quebec translated into English via Google Translate. “Since 1993, the club has been going in circles. What do they have to lose by giving me the chance to see what I can do with this club? At the same time, I understand the situation. The club is owned by Geoff Molson and he’s the one pulling the strings. He’s his team and at the end of the day I might not be the guy for him. I recognize that. «
The Canadians swept the house over the weekend with the resignation of Assistant General Manager Scott Mellanby on Saturday, followed by the firing of General Manager Marc Bergevin, his other deputy Trevor Timmins and public relations manager Paul Wilson.
It’s been 26 years since Roy left the Habs organization before joining the Colorado Avalanche in a trade, but he seems willing to hear about a reunion at the very least. But since then he has continued to have loose ties to the franchise through pieces of media like this.
Since retiring in 2003, Roy has continued to be involved in hockey. He bought the Ramparts in 1998 while still playing, and upon retirement he became vice president of hockey operations and general manager of the team. He was head coach there between 2005 and 2013 before the Avalanche hired him in the same role of hockey operations in addition to appointing him head coach.
Roy only lasted three seasons there and although they posted a respectable 130-92-24 record, they only played seven playoff games. He was made redundant in 2016.
After two years, Roy returned to the Ramparts as general manager and head coach in 2018 – roles he still retains.
Roy also spoke to TVA Sports and Radio-Canada, where he said this.
« Would I be interested? Of course, « he said. » But, at the same time, I realize that this is a process and that there are several very good candidates who will be vying for it. But if I get a call, I will definitely listen.
“Decisions were made over the weekend, and if the phone rings, it will ring. Otherwise, we will continue to do what we are doing, it is not more complicated than that.
Zach Laing is Chief News Officer and Senior Columnist for the Nation Network. He can be followed on Twitter at @zjlaing, or contactable by email at [email protected]