HOUSTON – QB Deshaun Watson remained with the Houston Texans on Tuesday when the team downsized to 53 players.
Watson’s future remains uncertain, as he has been accused by 22 women of harassment and sexual assault.
Houston Police and the NFL are investigating the allegations. Even before those accusations, Watson had said earlier this year that he was not happy with the direction the team was heading and called for a trade.
Watson, who dominated the NFL in passing wins in 2020, reported to the Texans’ camp to avoid penalties and participated in individual drills. However, he never participated in team training, instead watching Tyrod Taylor lead the offense.
“I said it from day one of camp, Deshaun is part of this team and we will continue to handle the situation appropriately,” Taylor said of Watson’s presence in the roster.
The Texans still haven’t named Taylor their starting quarterback, but he’s got the start in every preseason game. His use in training also shows that he will be the one to replace Watson, if Watson does not find himself behind the center.
“My mindset has never changed since playing football,” said Taylor. I prepare like a starter, lead like a starter and let the coaches make the decisions. «
David Mills, who was selected in the third round of the last draft, will be Taylor’s backup. The Texans released veteran Jeff Driskel on Tuesday.
In addition, the Texans have cut off the Quebecer Antony Auclair.