The summer transfer window was unlike any other; check out all the major offers and find out how we ranked the biggest signings. And just because the window is closed until January doesn’t mean the rumors won’t continue. Here are the latest gossip and speculation.
TOP STORY: Man City, United to face Barca for Olmo
Journalist Bild Christian Falk reports that Barcelona targets Dani Olmo interests both Manchester United and Manchester City.
Olmo, 23, played for Barcelona youth teams before joining Dinamo Zagreb in 2014. He now plays for RB Leipzig and has impressed with his recent performances, which have seen Barcelona rekindle their interest in him.
The attacking midfielder has also been spotted by United and City, so Barca won’t have it easy if they want to land him.
Barca president Joan Laporta is desperate to recruit players who have gone through La Masia academy and understand the club’s values, but there is little money left at Camp Nou and Olmo is valued at over 60million euros.
– ESPN + Guide: LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, FA Cup, more (US)
– Stream ESPN FC Daily on ESPN + (US only)
– You don’t have ESPN? Access immediately
14.40 Eastern time: Mundo Deportivo claim that Barcelona have reached an agreement for the extension of the contract of Ansu fati until June 2027.
18-year-old Ansu will have a € 1bn release clause, as will his teammate Pedro, who also signed a new agreement recently.
14.26 BST: Bild spoke to Chelsea boss Thomas tuchel and asked him about the Borussia Dortmund star Erling Haaland.
Not content with spending € 115m to sign Inter Milan striker Romelu Lukaku, Chelsea have been linked with a move for Haaland once his € 75million release clause goes into effect next summer. And Tuchel is clearly a fan of the Norwegian international.
“We spoke about Erling Haaland on several occasions, including during the transfer window. But then it seemed absolutely unrealistic and not at all feasible, ”he said. “We talk about him regularly, of course, because he’s a fantastic player and clearly the defining figure in Dortmund, who is a big rival for us in the Champions League. «
Asked about signing Haaland alongside Lukaku, Tuchel laughed: “You mean two at the top. [with] Lukaku and Haaland? We can talk about it! «
“I don’t think we’ve been really serious about this yet, but let’s see what happens in the next few weeks. «
13.55 BST: Daily mail says many clubs are fond of the Genk striker Paul Onuachu.
Tottenham, Atletico Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Southampton and West Ham have all watched the Nigeria international as he followed his 33 goals last season with 11 goals in his first 11 appearances this season.
The 6-foot-7 forward is said to be keen to take the plunge and clearly has no shortage of admirers.
13.14 BST: French Prime Minister Jean Castex presented Pope Francis with a PSG jersey n ° 30 framed in glass signed by Lionel messi as a gift.
Castex had a private visit with the Argentine pontiff on Monday in the Vatican. Messi, who was crucial for Argentina during their Copa America triumph in July, joined PSG this summer after his contract with Barcelona expired.
Born in Buenos Aires, Pope Francis is a football fan and a club member on the Argentine side San Lorenzo de Almagro. Messi and the Argentina national team met Pope Francis in the summer of 2013 in the Vatican and the Argentine captain called the meeting « short but beautiful ».
A year later, Messi was among other Argentinian internationals to sign a national team jersey which was sent to Pope Francis as a gift during the 2014 World Cup, where Argentina finished second to Germany.
12:30 p.m. BST: PSG seem to build a team of individuals and not a team.
Steve Nicol denounces the lack of cohesion of PSG after their victory from behind against RB Leipzig.
11.27 BST: FC Dallas forward Ricardo Pepi reportedly requested a transfer as he sought to move to Europe in January, 90min said.
Pepi, 18, has impressed this season and made his senior international debut in the United States, which has attracted Bayern Munich, Inter Milan and Liverpool.
SCS say they have made personal deals with German Bundesliga club Wolfsburg, but their representatives are awaiting further offers.
10:40 a.m. BST: Steve Bruce quit his job as manager of Newcastle United by mutual consent, the club have announced.
Bruce, who managed his 1,000th game on Sunday as Newcastle lost 3-2 to Tottenham Hotspur, was under pressure after a winless start to the Premier League season.
Sources told ESPN’s James Olley that the former AS Roma boss Paulo fonseca is one of the candidates running to take over from the club.
10:25 BST: Another day another Newcastle rumor.
Daily Telegraph reports club looking to sign Everton forward Dominique Calvert-Lewin with their new wealth after a Saudi-backed takeover.
Calvert-Lewin, 24, is linked with a £ 50million transfer to Man United, Arsenal and Real Madrid, but is under contract until 2025 after agreeing to an extension last year.
09.43 BST: TO Ole Gunnar Solskjaer transformed Man United since he was hired? And is he the right person to move the club forward? Our writers explain.
It has been almost three years since Ole Gunnar Solskjaer took charge of Manchester United, replacing Jose Mourinho at the end of December 2018 as a goalkeeper before being appointed definitively in March 2019. his first 19 games in charge – and a few failures yet more surprising, namely three outings in the semi-finals in 2019-20 (Carabao Cup, FA Cup, Europa League), as well as their exit from the group stage of the Champions League and a humiliating loss on penalties in the Europa League final last season.
As confrontational as the Mourinho era is, she brought trophies back to United, something Solskjaer has yet to accomplish. Their Premier League drought continued – last win: 2012-13 – and they haven’t claimed a title since the Europa League in 2016-17.
Solskjaer has since rebuilt that squad and received the star players he requested – this summer alone, Cristiano Ronaldo returned to the club he left in 2009, along with Jadon Sancho and Raphael Varane – but the same frustrations remain. Can this team of talented individuals be merged into a successful collective, and is Solskjaer the right man to do it?
With a string of critical fixtures ahead for United – two dates with Atalanta in the Champions League, as well as league games against Liverpool, Tottenham Hotspur and Manchester City in the next three weeks alone – we watch Solskjaer l coach, Solskjaer the motivator and Solskjaer the tactician. Can he bring this club back to its proud heyday?
08.54 BST: sport reports that the Juventus defender Matthijs de Ligt is unhappy with the club and wants to move to Barcelona.
De Ligt, 22, snubbed Barca to move to Turin in 2019 from Ajax for € 75million, but has now been relegated to the bench by manager Max Allegri and wants out.
His agent Mino Raiola has already touted the defender across Europe, but he has a € 150million release clause that may have to be paid.
08:30 BST: Barcelona veteran defender Gerard pique talked about how the Brazilian starlet Vinicius Jr. came close to joining the Catalan side in 2017 before accepting an offer to join Real Madrid instead.
Real Madrid beat Barcelona and Manchester United to sign the then 16-year-old Flamengo forward with a € 46million offer.
« Vinicius was very talented, » Pique said. “Did you know he was about to arrive at Barca? Real Madrid offered him the double. I spoke to him personally before he went to Madrid and on that call he admitted that everything is done with Barca. It was a done deal. I don’t know how it happened. [chat] was to greet him in the locker room. It was already done. Then Real Madrid arrived at the last second and gave him everything. «
Steve Nicol says Liverpool’s back line was a mess and thinks they were lucky that a VAR review happened against Atletico Madrid.
PAPER GOSSIP (By Adam Brown)
– Paris Saint-Germain can’t wait to try their luck with Liverpool transfer Mohamed salah, Le10 Sport reports. French media writes that PSG sporting director Leonardo is keen to bring the 29-year-old to Parc des Princes and could make an approach if PSG miss Borussia Dortmund. Erling Haaland. Despite talks about a new contract, Salah has yet to sign a new deal, with its current terms expiring in the summer of 2023.
– AC Milan want to extend their midfield Ishmael Bennacerwritten contract Nicolo schira. The 23-year-old’s deal is not set to expire until 2024, but the club want to remove his € 50million release clause and reward him with a pay rise. The new conditions should see Bennacer extend his stay at the San Siro until 2026.
– The race for the highly rated Hungarian international defender Attila Szalai is heating up, with Calciomercato reporting that Juventus and Atletico Madrid are set to fight in January for his signing. The 23-year-old has been a standout player for Fenerbahce this season and is attracting interest from some of Europe’s top leagues.
– Mundo Deportivo writes that Barcelona may not be ready to pay the asking price for Yuri Tielemans. The Leicester City midfielder is reportedly costing around € 55m, and with Camp Nou’s current financial situation restricting important goals, the club may be looking to cool their interest in the 24-year-old who started the Premier season. League. in impressive form.
– Nicolo schira revealed that River Plate would be willing to allow Julien alvarez leave for an amount of 18 million euros in January. Internazionale and AC Milan have followed the 21-year-old, who is said to have a € 25million release clause. Other clubs could emerge as the Buenos Aires powerhouse appear ready to cash in before the striker’s contract expires at the end of 2022.