Logan Mailloux repentant: “I deeply regret”


General manager Marc Bergevin threw a stone into the pond by making Logan Mailloux the first round choice of the Canadiens, late Friday evening. Due to the 18-year-old Ontarian’s criminal record, there has been widespread criticism in the media and on social media.

Before the start of this second draft day, the London Knights defender spoke to reporters. As he did in front of the 26 teams who interviewed him in the weeks preceding the draft, the young man took the blame and recognized the stupidity and seriousness of his action.

• Read also: Makar hits the jackpot

• Read also: A controversial choice of the Habs

Remember that last November, when he was playing for a Swedish team (SK Lejon), Mailloux took a photo of his sexual partner, without his knowledge, while she was performing fellatio. Later, he shared the photo with his teammates.

« I shared this photo, without his consent, to impress my teammates, » said Mailloux, 17 at the time. It was a completely stupid and irresponsible move on my part. »

Reported to local authorities by the victim, 18, Mailloux was charged with defamation and sharing an intimate image without consent. He was fined the equivalent of US$1,650.

“I acted without thinking. It was a lack of judgment on my part, he continued. I know that I have caused a great deal of harm to this person and his family. I hope she knows that I’m sincere, that I’m really sorry. It’s the dumbest thing I’ve done in my life. »

A difficult market

Earlier this week, Mailloux had formally asked the 32 NHL teams to ignore him in the draft, believing he had not shown enough maturity to deserve this honor and wishing to use the next season to demonstrate the progress made in this direction.

The Canadian ignored this request by selecting him 31st in the first round.

“I believe that being part of this organization will help me on my journey in the short and long term. They know what they are doing.”

Montreal is not Carolina or Arizona. The actions of each player are scrutinized. If Mailloux wanted to take advantage of the next campaign to lay low and let the dust settle, it has failed.

“I know I have to earn the trust of the fans. All I can hope for is that they trust me and learn to accept me. I would like to be able to play in front of them, he said. I want to improve myself as a person, as an individual. I hope I can have a positive impact in the community.”

The Canadian has a plan

Obviously, the bond of trust will be difficult to weave. However, Mailloux claims to have already initiated the steps to rehabilitate.

“I have been seeing a therapist for eight months. She helps me navigate through what’s going on in my life. I think I’ve changed a lot as a person. I see things differently, I think differently. I think more, I pay more attention to others. I hope that I can continue to improve in these different aspects.”

And as he mentioned on several occasions during his fifteen-minute press briefing, Mailloux is convinced that the Canadian will be able to support him adequately.

“Nothing has been put in place yet, but we have discussed a plan. I know they have a good plan in place. I know they will be able to help me on this side and get me back on the right track.

The Habs chose to give him a second chance. It’s up to him not to waste it.

Laisser un commentaire