LIVE Transfer Talk – Manchester City keep tabs on Pau Torres de Villarreal
The summer transfer window is closed for the best European leagues! After a summer rich in international football, countless clubs have waited until the last minute to make their transfers. Check out all the major offers here and find out how we ranked the biggest signings. But just because the window is closed until January doesn’t mean the rumors won’t continue.
TOP STORY: Man City watching Villarreal Torres
Manchester City want to take a step for Villarreal star Pau Torres, with reports in Spain revealing that Pep Guardiola has been stalking the center-back for a long time.
Marca writes that the club spoke with representatives of the Spain international this summer about a possible move to the Etihad stadium, with the city’s soccer director Txiki Begiristain involved in the potential deal.
But with the 24-year-old pledging his immediate future at the club he’s been at since 2002, any move could be delayed until the end of the season.
The Premier League side are the latest club to be involved in the pursuit of Torres, who rejected a move to Tottenham Hotspurs this summer, while also being placed on the radar for Real Madrid and Barcelona.
– ESPN + Guide: LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, FA Cup, more (US)
– Stream ESPN FC Daily on ESPN + (US only)
– You don’t have ESPN? Access immediately
09:00 BST: Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta rejected Bernd Leno‘s claims he is in the dark about losing the No. 1 spot to Aaron Ramsdale and urged the goalkeeper to focus on reclaiming his place in the squad.
Leno, who has not made a Premier League appearance since August 28, gave an interview to German newspaper Sport Bild on Wednesday in which he claimed « there was no clear reason why I was absent, but it had nothing to do with my performance. »
Ramsdale arrived at the Emirates in the final week of the summer transfer window under a £ 30million deal with Sheffield United and quickly established himself as the squad’s top pick, starting in the next three league wins against Norwich City, Burnley and Tottenham Hotspur to earn a call-back from Gareth Southgate’s last England side.
However, when asked about Leno’s comments ahead of Saturday’s trip to Brighton and Hove Albion, Arteta said: “I had a very clear conversation with him 48 hours before I made my decision. Obviously any conversation I have with him is completely private and I’m not going to tell any media about it.
» [I expect from him] the same thing he did every day. Train the way he does, be the way he is, the person he is, the way he behaves, and try to help other goalies and other goalies trying to help him. «
PAPER GOSSIP (by Adam Brown)
– Talk around Donny van de Beek has seen the Manchester United star linked with a move to Juventus or AC Milan. This is according to Calciomercato, who writes that both Serie A clubs are following the midfielder, who also receives interest from Spain. The 24-year-old joined Old Trafford in 2020 but has since been unable to carve out a regular place in the first team, leading to notable frustration when he was substituted against Villarreal.
– Villarreal’s Arnaut Danjuma Interest continues to spark with Leeds United monitoring the former Bournemouth winger, writes Football Insider. The 24-year-old was a standout player against Manchester United in the Champions League on Wednesday when scouts from Liverpool were also reportedly in attendance. The La Liga striker has contributed four goals in his last six games.
– Former Southampton Star Gaston ramirez is set to continue his career with Al-Nassr, according to Nicolo schira. The 30-year-old, who has spent the last four seasons in Serie A with Sampdoria, has reportedly accepted a three-year contract with the Saudi Pro League club. The former Uruguay international has scored 14 goals and assisted 18 during his time with the Blucerchiati.
– Arsenal technical director Edu will be the recruiter Yves bissouma when the Gunners face Brighton & Hove Albion on Saturday night, the Express said. The north London club are said to have a real interest in the Seagulls midfielder, who has helped his side to sixth place in the Premier League campaign so far this season, but the Mali international faces a run to be fit for the game after a recent injury kept him out of Brighton’s 1-1 draw against Crystal Palace.