A NIGHT OF DECEPTIONS FOR THE FRENCH DELEGATION
The day after the first French Olympic title in Tokyo, the Blues remain stuck at three medals after the first events on the program on Monday.
– Reigning triathlon world champion Vincent Luis failed in his quest for an Olympic podium. The leader of the French team finished best French, but in 13th place, 1’20 « behind the new Olympic champion, Kristian Blummenfelt. Dorian Coninx was placed 17th and Léo Bergère 21st.
– For her first Olympic final, swimmer Marie Wattel, who smashed her personal best and the French record on Sunday, did not delude herself in the 100m butterfly. The native of Annecy, only 23rd in Rio, finished 6th in the race, won by Canadian Margaret MacNeil.
– Swimmers Yohann Ndoye-Brouard and Mewen Tomac, who are experiencing their first Olympic Games, both stalled in the semi-finals of the 100m backstroke, the first having even been surprised by the wall at the turn and having been disqualified on Monday in Tokyo. Tomac swam only the 14th time in 53.62.
– Johanne Defay, world number 2 on the pro circuit, was released in the round of 16 of the surfing events, a new Olympic discipline in Tokyo, by the Portuguese Yolanda Hopkins, on Monday at the site of Tsurigasaki Beach.
– There was no miracle for the French archery team, dominated in the round of 16 of the men’s team event by the United States of world number 1 Brady Ellison. The trio of Jean-Charles Valladont, Thomas Chirault and Pierre Plihon, vice-world champions in 2017, lost 6-0 in the round of 16.
– Meanwhile, the French handball players continued their journey without a hitch, beating Brazil (34-29), the day after their success against Argentina. Serious things will begin on Wednesday against Germany.