Gobert already decisive, Zion and NOLA explode Brooklyn
The results of the night in the NBA
Magic @ Pistons : 109-113
Wizards @Pacers: 114-107
Rockets @ Hawks: 117-107
Bulls @ Heat: 116-108
Cavs @ Raptors : 105-108
Hornets @Spurs: 129-102
Thunder @ wolves : 108-115
Knicks @ Grizzlies : 112-115, after extra time
Pelicans @ Nets: 130-108
Nuggets @ Jazz : 102-123
Mavs @ Suns : 105-107
Blazers @Kings: 115-108
– It only took one match for everyone to understand the importance of Rudy Gobert at Wolves. For their first game of the season against OKC, Wolves were able to rely on the Frenchman’s 23 points and 16 rebounds, whose impact compensated for the clumsy matches of Karl Anthony Towns and Anthony Edwardswho shot 6/27 on aggregate.
Rudy also enjoyed himself by borrowing his floater from Tony Parker at the buzzer of the 3rd quarter!
Well damn, Rudy Gobert. Where’s that floater been??? pic.twitter.com/cfzZvHYfnJ
— CJ Fogler AKA Perc70 #BlackLivesMatter (@cjzero) October 20, 2022
The Thunder did not go that far from an upset against Wolves clearly in search of chemistry, who had a big slump in the 3rd quarter, going from +16 to -6 in record time , notably thanks to Shai Gilgeous-Alexander (32 pts), perhaps unaware of the « Shitty for Wemby » mission.
– We don’t know if we just want to applaud the successful return of Zion Williamson or press the panic button for the Nets. A bit of both, maybe… Zion and the Pelicans didn’t come to Brooklyn to sightsee and crushed the Nets, with 25 points, 9 rebounds, 4 steals and 3 assists for the All-Star inside , a year and a half after his last official game in the NBA.
Zion Williamson bully ball™️
😤 💪 #NBATwitter pic.twitter.com/aCFJIPcpDr
—Happy Hour Hoops (@happyhourhoops1) October 19, 2022
NOLA showed a very interesting face with Brandon Ingram (28 pts) and CJ McCollum (21 pts) very involved in the demonstration. The Nets, on the other hand, proceeded by air holes, with the configuration so dreaded by Kevin Durant : 32 points for him and too many offensive responsibilities. Kyrie Irving (15 pts at 6/19) and Ben Simmons (4 pts, 5 rebounds, 5 wts and… an expulsion for 6 faults in 23 min) were not at the level expected for this opening match.
– It’s only the regular season, but the Suns took a little revenge on Dallas, who had eliminated them in the last playoffs. The Mavs cracked by squandering a 22-point lead to be doubled late in the game. Damion Leeone of the summer recruits, put the nails in the coffin with a shot 10 seconds from the end.
Luka Doncic (35 pts, 9 rebounds, 6 wt) tried to equalize from afar at the buzzer, without success.
Podcast #59: Our predictions for the 2022-23 NBA season (feat. Rémi Reverchon)
– Ja Morant and the Grizzlies started their season with an overtime victory at home against the Knicks. New York showed some good and hung on, taking overtime on a 3-point field goal from Cam Reddishbut Morant (34 points, 9 assists) and his family really did not want to start with a setback at home.
Tyus Jones scored the biggest basket of the game with 47 seconds remaining to give Memphis a 3-point lead. Evan Fournier had a second overtime ball, but couldn’t hit the mark.
Santi Aldamaholder for the first time in the NBA, was very good at replacing Jaren Jackson Jr numerically and signed a double-double (18 pts, 11 rebounds).
– The Blazers celebrated the first game of Damian Lillard since January 2022 with a victory. However, it was not the Portland point guard who was the most decisive on the Sacramento floor. Jerami Grant (23 pts) folded the deal 50 seconds from the end on a basket plus the fault to spoil Mike Brown’s first on the Kings bench.
– DeMar DeRozan seems determined to show that his standards in the NBA are those of last season and that we should not expect to see him lower in level. The Bulls went to win in Miami with 37 points (28 in the 2nd half) and 9 assists for the Californian, helped by Nikola Vucevic (15 pts, 17 rebounds, 3 ctres).
The 69 cumulative points of Jimmy Butler (who fortunately found a less creepy haircut) Tyler Herro and Max Strus weren’t enough for Miami.
– The first match of the tandem Trae Young – Dejounte Murray with Atlanta resulted in a home win over Houston. The Rockets and their young squad were eye-catching, but the Hawks’ All-Stars backcourt was productive enough to lead Atlanta to victory: 20 points, 11 assists, 5 steals for Murray, 23 points, 13 assists for Young. Point of improvement: the address, since the two thieves shot at 15/41 combined.
At the Rockets, Jabari Smith celebrated his NBA debut with 17 points and 7 rebounds at 6/17.
– The Cavs seemed to have the game in hand in Toronto, but the last quarter and the absence of Darius Garland, injured in the eye during the game, was fatal to the men of JB Bickerstaff. Donovan Mitchell still had a pretty good start in the Cleveland jersey, with 31 points and 9 assists at 12/21. At the Raptors, Pascal Siakam had time to sign a double-double (23 pts, 11 rebounds) before going out for 6 faults.
🕷 Donovan Mitchell scores his first bucket with the @cavs! #KiaTipOff22
Live Now on NBA League Pass
📲 https://t.co/1pomQZN8Pi pic.twitter.com/n2YTjNJuHW
— NBA (@NBA) October 19, 2022
– Orlando lost to Detroit, but Paolo Banchero (27 pts, 9 rebounds, 5 wt) became the third Draft No. 1 since 1969 to compile at least 25 points, 5 rebounds and 5 assists for his NBA debut, after Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and LeBron James. He also put up a nice poster, just to mark the occasion.
PAOLO BANCHERO JUST CAUGHT A BODY 🔥🔥🔥 pic.twitter.com/qxpjbhdbMV
— Complex Sports (@ComplexSports) October 20, 2022
In this game between teams that we imagine ending up tanking, Detroit took the upper hand in part thanks to the talent of Bojan Bogdanovicwho doesn’t really know the concept of tanking: 24 points at 6/10 at 3 points. Killian Hayes played 16 minutes off the bench for 3 points, 5 assists, 5 rebounds, 3 steals and 1 block.
The opposite in question, on Mo Bambais rather surprising.
Killian Hayes blocking Mo Bamba. Not sure how to feel pic.twitter.com/PCuHlRJ4p1
— Kevin O’Connor (@KevinOConnorNBA) October 20, 2022
– Danny Ainge may not have been clear enough with his new coach Will Hardy in his speech at the start of the season. No one at the Jazz understood the need to avoid winning too many matches too quickly. Utah went to surprise Denver, like it was 2021, with a Collin Sexton on fire coming off the bench (20 pts in 21 min) and rookies (Lauri Markkanen and Malik Beasley in particular, but also the rookie Walker Kesslerin double-double) already well adapted.
The 27 points of Nikola Jokic weren’t enough and the Nuggets were way off the mark for most of the game.
it has been 2.5 hours of this. Collin Sexton staring down the MVP and just going for the throat. love the hoof rev up too by the young bull. https://t.co/glUXlrzX0z pic.twitter.com/fWGyzeHuop
—Rob Perez (@WorldWideWob) October 20, 2022
– To tank correctly, Jazz players can follow the example of San Antonio, which started its season perfectly with a home defeat against Charlotte, or Indiana, beaten at home by Washington. Professional work, while letting rookies and youngsters express themselves, like Bennedict Mathurin (19 pts) for the Pacers or the youngest roster of Gregg Popovich’s career (23.4 years on average).