The National Hockey League (NHL) has released the final voting score for the Calder Trophy awarded to the most outstanding rookie. Unsurprisingly, Moritz Seider takes the honors. Zegras comes second, then Michael Bunting completes the top-3.
However, each expert had to create a top-5 on their ballot. After having experienced a mediocre start to the season under Dominique Ducharme, Cole Caufield has unblocked with the arrival of Martin St-Louis behind the bench. His explosive end to the season allowed him to get 15 votes, one vote as third best prospect, six votes as fourth and eight votes for fifth.
In 30 games under Dominique Ducharme, the number 22 of the Canadiens had only found the back of the net once in addition to a meager harvest of 7 assists. Then, he took advantage of the last 37 games of the season to set the record straight, scoring 22 goals and 13 assists for 35 points.
Among the other NHL rookies to have received votes, note Quebecer Alexandre Carrier, of the Nashville Predators, who has drawn praise from four experts. He was also named to the all-rookie team.
You can see the total voting points collected below, according to the following scoring system: 10-7-5-3-1 points.
1. Moritz Seider, DET 1853 (170-18-3-4-0)
2. Trevor Zegras, ANA 1191 (15-100-57-18-2)
3. Michael Bunting, TOR 877 (7-51-65-34-23)
4. Lucas Raymond, DET 499 (1-10-40-61-36)
5. Jeremy Swayman, BOS 210 (2-3-14-22-33)
6. Anton Lundell, FLA 185 (0-4-7-29-35)
7. Tanner Jeannot, NSH 153 (0-9-4-11-37)
8. Matt Boldy, MIN 38 (0-0-2-6-10)
9. Cole Caufield, MTL 31 (0-0-1-6-8)
10. Alexandre Carrier, NSH 14 (0-0-2-1-1)
11. Timothy Liljegren, TOR 6 (0-0-0-1-3)
11. Dawson Mercer, NJD 6 (0-0-0-1-3)
13. Seth Jarvis, CAR 5 (0-0-0-1-2)
14. Martin Fehervary, WSH 1 (0-0-0-0-1)
14. Alex Nedeljkovic, DET 1 (0-0-0-0-1)