Barcelona’s Xavi appears to pass from Gerard Pique, Sergio Busquets, Jordi Alba
The summer transfer window was unlike any other; check out all the major offers and find out how we ranked the biggest signings. And just because the window is closed until January doesn’t mean the rumors won’t continue. Here are the latest gossip and speculation.
TOP STORY: Barcelona stars could move on
New Barcelona manager Xavi Hernandez is expected to leave Sergio Busquets, Gerard pique, Sergi Roberto and Jordi alba moving forward as he seeks to free up both wages and space in his team for the next generation, El Nacional reports.
The report claims that Xavi is looking to make big changes with these four senior members likely to leave.
Alba, 32, has reportedly been offered the opportunity to join Paris Saint-Germain this summer. Ex-teammate Lionel Messi has reportedly heard of the current situation and is keen to reconnect with the left-back, with the duo understanding and making the most of each other during their time in Spain.
Although the operation was initiated by Messi, the Ligue 1 team are open to a potential move as it would add depth to the left flank with the summer arrival of Nuno Mendes.
– ESPN + Guide: LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, FA Cup, more (US)
– Stream ESPN FC Daily on ESPN + (US only)
– You don’t have ESPN? Access immediately
08:00 GMT: Aston Villa is considering approaches for Steven gerrard and Ralph hasenhuttl to replace Dean Smith as director, the The Telegraph of the Day reports.
Smith was sacked by Villa on Sunday following a streak of five successive Premier League defeats, with Friday’s 1-0 defeat in Southampton Smith’s final game in charge. Smith’s last victory dates back to September 25, when Villa beat Manchester United 1-0 at Old Trafford.
According to the Telegraph, Rangers manager Gerrard is a candidate after bringing the Glasgow club back to the Scottish title last season, and the former Liverpool captain has been linked to Villa general manager Christian Purslow since his time at Anfield.
PAPER GOSSIP (by Luke Thrower)
Manchester City consider move for Juventus defender Matthijs de Ligt, says El Nacional. The 22-year-old is said to be ready to leave Serie A with agent Mino Raiola tasked with finding him a new destination. Barcelona were interested but their financial problems opened an opportunity for Pep Guardiola to land the Netherlands international.
– Real Madrid and Newcastle United take an interest in Liverpool striker Mohamed salah, according to Calciomercato. The Egypt international is at the end of his contract in 2023 and without a deal on a new deal, the clubs are said to be considering a decision.
– Internazionale take an interest in Real Madrid midfielder Dani Ceballos, according to SportMediaSet. The 25-year-old has suffered an ankle injury since the summer but is unlikely to feature for Los Blancos in the future as the midfielder seeks to spend more playing time.
– Juan Cuadrado is set to renew his contract at Juventus, reports Calciomercato. The ex-Chelsea man is out of contract this summer, but the old lady is hoping to keep him a bit longer. The deal contains a clause that will opt for another year, with the 33-year-old able to stay until 2024.
– International midfielder Marcelo Brozovic hopes to stay at the club and has set the conditions for his renewal, Calciomercato says. The Croatia international has been linked with many clubs due to his contract expiring at the end of the year. The report claims he is seeking € 6million per year to stay with the Serie A squad.