Barcelona are ready to move Frenkie de Jong and Marc-Andre ter Stegen to help balance the books
The summer transfer window was unlike any other. Check out all the major offers and find out how we ranked the biggest signings. And just because the window is closed until January doesn’t mean the rumors won’t continue. Here are the latest gossip and speculation.
TOP STORY: Barça ready to move De Jong, Ter Stegen
Barcelona no longer believe in this goalkeeper Marc-André ter Stegen and midfielder Frenkie de Jong are « untouchable » and could let the couple go, according to COMME. The duo could have made way due to the club’s financial situation, with all funds received through their transfers potentially going to rebuilding the Catalan squad.
The report suggests the two have fallen short of expectations in recent times, the Blaugrana failing to break out of their Champions League group and subsequently moving to the Europa League for the first time since the 2000-01 season.
Ter Stegen, 29, has been a regular Barca player since joining in 2014 from Borussia Mönchengladbach for around £ 10million. The Germany international has made nearly 300 appearances for the club, but failed to reach the heights of his previous seasons in Catalonia, committing a series of mistakes in goal, most recently this week against Bayern Munich.
As for De Jong, 24, he has been called a promising prospect, signing from Ajax in 2019 for more than £ 70million. The Netherlands international has been a regular at the squad since his arrival, but has struggled to reach the levels expected of him.
The pair could be set to leave as Xavi looks to invest in his squad and put his own mark on Barcelona as manager.
– Chelsea take an interest in Leicester City defender Wesley fofana replacing pending free agent Antonio Rudiger, according to Goal. With Rudiger, 28, apparently on the verge of leaving the Blues on a free transfer this summer, they are considering reinforcements, including Fofana and a summer target. Jules Koundé of Seville.
– Newcastle United and Southampton are interested in Real Salt Lake midfielder Albert Rusnak, according to the courier. The 27-year-old’s contract with the MLS club expires in January, with both Premier League sides being alerted as they seek to strengthen their squads.
– Paris Saint-Germain plan to develop three senior players in January, with Mauro icardi one of those included, the L’Équipe reports. The club hierarchy believe the squad they have is too big and hope to cut it down in January, with Rafinha and Abdou Diallo also said to be free to find new clubs.
– Newcastle take serious interest in Manchester United playmaker Jesse Lingard, according to Fabrice Romano. The 28-year-old has been linked with a move away from Old Trafford due to a lack of playing time as contact between the parties has started but no deal has yet been reached.
– Arsenal midfielder Mohamed elneny has sparked interest from the Premier League and Turkish League clubs, reports Ekrem Konur. The Egypt international is out of contract this summer, playing in England again next year his priority, but potentially being absent elsewhere.
– Ainsley Maitland Niles are looking to move away from Arsenal in January, with the 24-year-old missing minutes since the start of the season. The mail reports that the England international favors a move away from the Gunners, making only two starts since his calls for a transfer this summer. Everton and Newcastle are the two sides watching his situation.